When the GSX Monitor UI is not running with administrator's rights, the GSX Windows Service is not shut down properly when closing GSX Monitor from the normal menu. Everything is working as expected except when attempting to shut down the background Monitor service when closing the User Interface: an Access denied error appears and the Service is not stopped. You may also see a similar error when trying to start the GSX Monitor service from the installed shortcut.
This article explains two ways to fix this problem.
- MCEngine Init Error Code 1007. Time-out reached after waiting for remoting message.
- MCEngine Error Code 1009. Failed to stop Monitor Service: Access is denied.
- Can't start GSX Monitor: Access is denied. Cannot open GSX Monitor service on computer ".".
How to Solve the Issue
We can fix this problem either by stopping the GSX Monitor Service from Windows, or by shutting down GSX Monitor leaving the service running, and then restarting as Administrator to have sufficient rights to close the service thereafter.
Stopping the service using Windows:
- Click OK to dismiss the error message box you are seeing (GSX Monitor Service is still running in the background).
- Type services.msc from the Windows Start menu.
- Locate GSX Monitor Service.
- Right-click it and select Stop.
Stopping the service using GSX Monitor:
- Click OK on the error message box (GSX Monitor Service is still running in the background).
- Exit GSX Monitor selecting only to close the UI.
- Right-click the GSX Monitor shortcut icon and select Run as administrator.
- The User Interface has now the required permissions to stop the Service.
- Exit Monitor and choose to shut down the background Service from the menu.
Depending on the User Account Control (UAC) settings, when you launch GSX Monitor from the default shortcut, it will ask you if you want to allow the application to make changes to your computer. Saying "Yes" elevates your permissions to full Administrator and allows you to stop or start Windows Services. If the UAC settings are set to "Never notify" , then this prompt will not appear and the permissions will never be elevated. This means that when you launch the GSX Monitor UI, it will not be running with Administrator rights.
This said, you may have enough permission to permanently change the way GSX Monitor is manually launched and ensure the application always runs with unrestricted rights:
- Right-click on the GSX Monitor shortcut.
- Select the Shortcut tab.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Click OK to close the windows.
This will now always launch with Administrator privileges.