Sometimes a fix pack is released to address an urgent issue before the next incremental version of GSX Monitor is released. After applying a fix pack you may notice that the scan status has stopped updating. Fix packs contain .dll and .exe files that can potentially become blocked by Windows Security zones settings. If these files are blocked by the security settings then part of the scan engine will fail to run.
Below we will describe two procedures on how to unblock the newly deployed fix pack files.
- GSX Monitor does not start.
- Traveler scan is outdated.
- BlackBerry, Sametime, Exchange, Lync, SharePoint, URL, Log and Domino scans can also be outdated.
How to Solve the Issue
One of the reasons that you may experience such issues is that the file was downloaded using an http browser. Depending on the Windows security zone settings, this file may be identified as untrusted and subsequently blocked from being executed.
File blocking is established on Windows NTFS files systems via the alternative data stream feature. The alternative data streams are essentially key-value pairs. The "key" is the Zone.Identifier in which the alternative data stream feature determines what zone a file originates from. The "value" assigned to the key determines how the files will be managed.
ZoneId=3 is the value set to some files downloaded via a web browser.
We have two options to unblock the fix pack files:
- Option 1 unblocks the files individually and will have to be repeated for each fix pack file that is extracted to the \GSX Monitor\Bin directory.
- Option 2 shows how to perform a bulk unblock of all \GSX Monitor\Bin directory files. A utility from Microsoft can be downloaded as detailed hereafter.
- Check the contents of the original fix pack zip file to identify the names of the .dll files that have been extracted.
- Navigate to the GSX Monitor\Bin folder.
- Locate the .dll or .exe files that are in the fix pack.
- Right-click each .dll file, and select Properties.
- From the General tab, click the Unblock button:
- Repeat the previous step for each .dll file extracted from the fix pack.
- Download Streams from Microsoft.
- Copy the Streams.exe to \GSX Monitor\Bin directory.
- Navigate to the \GSX Monitor\Bin.
- Hold Shift and right-click in the directory.
- Click Open command window here.
- Type the following command:
- streams -s -d .
- GSXMonitorUINET.exe - GSX Monitor User Interface.
- GSXScanJobBES.dll - BlackBerry.
- GSXScanJobSametime.dll - Sametime.
- GSXScanJobExchange.dll - Exchange.
- GSXScanJobLync.dll - Lync.
- GSXScanJobSharePoint.dll - SharePoint.
- GSXScanJobTraveler.dll - Traveler.
- GSXScanJobUrl.dll - URL.
- GSXScanLogDll.DLL - Log scanning.
- GSXScanEngJb.DLL - Domino.
If the fix pack is not yet deployed, we recommend using an FTP client to download the zip file.
If an FTP client is not possible, you can unblock the entire fixpack directory before deploying it by following this procedure:
- Navigate to the fixpack zip.
- Right-click the zip file.
- Select Properties.
- From the General tab, click Unblock.
All files in the fixpack are now unblocked and ready for deployment.